Leaving care and searching for a house to call your own can be an exhilarating and sometimes, challenging, endeavour.

This can be especially taxing when your earnings aren’t that much in today’s often stratospherically expensive market.

Fortunately, there are different options for you to choose from. Read on to find one that would suit you, your personality and your needs.

Share Housing

Share accommodation is an inexpensive option that you should seriously consider when you leave care. As the name suggests, you will be sharing a house with others. This can be people you may already know or these may be total strangers.

It’s a great option since it basically guarantees that you won’t be as lonely as when you are living all by your lonesome.

Most of the time, your potential flatmates would want to interview you first before letting you move in. Make the most out of this opportunity to know your flatmates and the details of the share house as well.

When you do get to move in, you will have to pay for your share of the bond – often it’s four weeks rent plus you will need to pay 2 – 4 weeks rent in advance.

It’s also best to find out the amount that you are up for each month and to pay this directly to the real estate agent. That way, you’ll avoid a touchy situation wherein a flatmate may forget to pay or worse, lose the money.

Government Housing

Government or public housing is provided by state and federal governments across Australia. These are usually 1, 2 or 3 bedroom and are offered in order of need or priority. This means if you are a single parent with three young children, you are most likely to get housing faster than say, a single person.

The conditions are different for each state, but generally you may apply for government or ‘public housing’ if you:

• Do not surpass the income and asset eligibility limits;
• Do not own or partly own a house, unit or flat;
• Do have Australian citizenship or permanent residency status; and
• Do not owe money from a previous public housing tenancy or Bond Loan.

Emergency Housing

Homelessness is an issue that is increasingly threatening Australians. It can be caused by numerous factors ranging from a troubled relationship to unemployment. Fortunately, there are many programs in the country that seeks to address this issue.

The services include advice, financial support and temporary lodging. If you are do not have a place to live in or is in danger of losing your home, the following services can have your back.

Centrelink crisis or special help


Community youth outreach




Managing your finances in today’s landscape can be a tricky task. But fortunately, we have some tips that just might be of help.

Related Posts